The Niagara Transit Commission is the realization of a vision of many at Niagara Region and the 12 local area municipalities to connect all of Niagara through a single transit system called Niagara Region Transit. The Commission is responsible for integrating our local transit systems (Niagara Region Transit, Niagara Falls Transit, St. Catharines Transit, Welland Transit and Fort Erie Transit) into a single organization that operates public transit across Niagara.
On May 26, 2022, Regional Council approved the first Commission Board and the elected representatives recommended by their local councils to serve on it. The Board has representation from Regional and local municipal councillors to ensure that all municipalities have a voice.
The current Board term extends to Jan. 31, 2023, and includes the following board members:
- Municipal Councillor Greg Miller (St. Catharines)
- Municipal Councillor Wayne Olson (Pelham)
- Municipal Councillor J. D. Pachereva (Lincoln)
- Mayor Wayne Redekop (Fort Erie)
- Municipal Councillor William Reilly (West Lincoln)
- Mayor Mathew Siscoe (St. Catharines)
- Municipal Councillor Leo VanVliet (Welland)
- Municipal Councillor Tim Whalen (Thorold)